Want to make a Roman mosaic for your home and want to get an idea of what's involved? Here's a really brief description taken from an article I'm writing.
This is taking a 2 metre (6') square floor panel as an example.
- Base - get the floor checked by a tiler to ensure it's usable.
- Knowledge - Learn about The Rules and how to set out patterns, learn whatever technique you want to use.
- Tesserae - get your supply (24 kgs per square metre or 53lbs per 3' x 3'), there are a number of options for this.
- Cutting - learn to use a hammer and hardie to cut the tesserae into individual shapes.
- Setting - talk to the manufacturers to find out the best cement adhesive, grout and stone sealant to use and ask the sealant people about maintenance.
- Sit back and enjoy your hard work!